The Team of the Year Award is a new award at the club. The essence of the award is that no matter what side you are in every week your performance can be recognised and rewarded. The award is based off our weekly Team of the Week which was sponsored by Better Bathrooms & Kitchens and now has been compiled to our ultimate combined XI's Team of the Year.
This year we also introduced the Clas Showerscreens Player of the Week (who are our great friends and long-time supportive sponsors who hail out West). The Player of the Week as suggests in the name was awarded to the best player in any grade across the senior squad. These weekly announcements became another form of recognition throughout the season and gained great traction across our social media platforms.
The team of the year was picked through a combination of how many times a player was picked in the Team of the Week, their season statistics and the times they were awarded Player of the Week.
Team of the Year
Announced at Presentation Night, here is our Team of the Year 2018/19:
1. David Bell - the veteran opening batsmen who compiled his 6000th run for the Balwyn Cricket Club notched up 385 runs opening the batting averaging 48.1 including 5 times being named in Team of the Week and once being named as Player of the Week.
2. Nick Crawford - who is an aggressive powerful young opening batsman. Nick averaged 28.3 and compiled 340 runs and was named in Team of the Week 5 times.
3. James Lowrie - slots in at number 3 after amassing 299 runs and taking 11 wickets and being named in Team of the Week a whopping 7 times it is only fitting, he bats at number 3, a position he has owned over his career in a number of different grades.
4. Peter Martinich - who had a breakout year in the 1st XI made Team of the Week 4 times and was our inaugural Player of the Week after scoring a maiden first XI Century in Round 1 against Bayswater. He compiled 327 runs for the year and fittingly bats number 4.
5. Mitch Carey (Captain) - dominated the 1st XI Competition at times this year with both bat and ball on numerous occasions. He made team of the year 8 times and was awarded Player of the Week 3 times. Scoring 263 runs and taking 29 wickets Mitch is the premium allrounder of the side. The Bud Walder Medal winner will not only bat number 5 and open the bowling but is also named as the Captain of the side.
6. Nathan Lester (w/k) - takes the gloves at Number 6 after an impressive first year at the club after joining us from Fitzroy-Doncaster. The number 6 made Team of the Week 4 times and made 271 runs and was exceptional with the gloves.
7. Dom Greene - slots in at number 7 after a good year playing as an all-rounder across the First and Second XI. He took 22 wickets averaging 16.83 and scored 168 runs and made Team of the Week 5 times throughout the season.
8. Sunny Khuram - is named at number 8 after taking 19 wickets and making the team of the year 5 times in his first season at the club. Sunny played across the Seconds and the Thirds.
9. Clinton Kennon - Our newest Life Member is listed at number 9 after taking 28 wickets in the season leading the second XI. He was named in Team of the Week 5 times and was also Player of the Week twice.
10. Michael Letcher - On any wicket you will see him with a grin and after being wicket-less in only 1 game this season (the T20 Round) you can understand why. After being named in Team of the Week 6 times and taking 26 wickets in the home and away season averaging 8.69, he walks into the XI.
11. Jacob Jacob - A fan favourite Jacob "Squared" Jacob snatches the last position in the 11. Jacob was named in the Team of the Week 4 times and took 21 wickets at an average of 9.43. Jacobs bowling speaks for itself and is somewhat a mold of the Subbies style.
The 12th man was awarded each week for the best fielding performance from the week. This year, after taking 14 catches in the outfield, Harris Carlin is a deserved winner. He fielded at slip, short cover and was an elite boundary rider. Harris moves well has great presence for someone his age and is reliable.